Part 8 – The Team Travel Away in Style

Players Story

The following week the team met at the corner of Cheddar Road and Farnborough Road.

It was their usual meeting place for away games. The game to be played was opposite Nottingham University. They travelled in a Thames (Ford) Minibus

It was ideal for away games as the team travelled to Highfields to play Wollaton based side Kingswood Meths. The game was played on the pitches to the south side of University Boulevard. The amalgamation of players from both Thistledown Rovers and All Whites made the team a force to be reckoned with.
Clifton All Whites 3 Kingswood Methodists 1

All Whites: Strickland, Wray, Walsh, Kirby, Holloway, Moseley, Holder, Flynn, Lambley, Newman, Holland

Newly formed Clifton All Whites scored their second win in the Notts Church League, since they joined this competition three weeks ago.

The match was a most exciting one. Kingswood taking advantage of the slope of the pitch in the first half, and using the long ball had the All Whites defence in all sorts of trouble, and it was no surprise when right winger Wagstaff scored a great goal in 10 minutes.

All Whites fought back and Lambley, Moseley and Flynn missed easy chances in the first half. With the score 1-0 at half time the All Whites put everything they had into the second half and settled down to play some attractive football.

It was not until half way through the second half that they finally scored with a great shot from wing half Moseley. Shortly after All Whites took the lead with the best goal of the match from by inside right Flynn. He beat three men in the penalty area and shot into the corner of the net.

The final goal came from outside left Holland, who put a high lob into the goalmouth which deceived goalkeeper Leach who had had an outstanding game for Kingswood.

The beginning of March saw the battle of two unbeaten teams in the Church League. The Thames (Ford) Minibus would return the team to Highfields, one week later, but this time on the opposite side of the Boulevard playing on the Pavilion side next to the Lido.

Although at the time none of the players knew about the unbeaten games record of Parliament Street Meths….they thought they were playing against another Methodist Church Team! ….like Kingswood the previous week!

7th March 1964 Clifton All Whites 2 Parliament Street Methodists 0

All Whites: Dilnot, Wray, Walsh, Perkins, D Holloway, T Holloway, Holder, Flynn, Lambley, Moseley, Jukes

Top of the Church League saw Parliament Street Methodists suffer their first defeat of the season when they met Clifton All Whites for the first time. This was a very exciting and hard fought game with play going from end to end.

Parliament Street went on the attack from the kick off and forced a corner from which Wells tried to force the ball into the goal, Dilnot made a fine save. All Whites were producing some last gasp tackles in their defence of the goalkeeper.

After 10 minutes All Whites started to settle down and make headway with right winger Holder having the better of Riley, Parliament’s full back and from these right wing attacks Clifton went ahead.

Holder pushed the ball through to Flynn, who centred it to Lambley, who beat the oncoming goalie in a scramble in the six yard box to put Clifton 1-0 up at half time.

When play started in the second half All Whites were playing towards the Lido. Parliament Street attacked continuously trying for an equaliser, but Clifton’s defence stood firm with Walsh, Wray and D Holloway outstanding.

At one point Walsh blocked a ball on the line only to find Terry Holloway’s boot firmly planted on the back of his hand. The exposed nails in Holloway’s studs left the back of Walsh’s hand covered in blood.

It was from a breakaway that Flynn collected a ball in the penalty area, passed the ball to Moseley whose long pass to Lambley left him on a breakaway with a one on one with the goalkeeper. Eddie cut inside the box from the Left Wing as he hit a right footed shot along the ground. The Goalie was left for dead as the ball glided past him into the far side of the Goal.

This gave Clifton their third successive win in the league and it was all down to teamwork.

In a separate newspaper report on the match came with a tribute to All Whites in their first season of competitive football. It reads:-

Another Clifton club in All Whites did a giant killing act last week and as a result are in with a chance of honors in the Junior competition.

They are members of the under 13 group in the Church League and their 2-0 victory over Parliament Street Boys was a real turn up for the books, for not only the latter had never been beaten this season, they had not lost a match for two years, Last season they walked away with the Church League Championship, the Knockout Cup and the 5 a side Competition.

Clifton All Whites might like to know that the result did not mean so much disappointment to Parliament Street who most remembered a wonderful game. Indeed they were so enthusiastic about it when they returned to their headquarters they gave the impression that they had won. Very sporting to think more of the game than of the actual game.